We have crafted a bunch of templates which can be used by engineers who want to start freelancing on their own. Freelancers can find profitable niches and generate profile headlines and descriptions. They also can find sample project descriptions and cover letters.
Profitable Freelance Niches for Engineers
The following 3 niches were the most profitable hidden niches for freelance engineers:
- 3D printing
- Technical blogging
These three niches are great because the work is steady, and the pay is well above average. Fees can range from $200-$800 per job, depending on the difficulty and time required to complete it.
Tips to Become a Freelance Engineer
Upwork, where you can bid on projects and earn money for your skills. It's a great place for new freelancers to start earning money online.
- Measure Twice, Cut Once: When you're new to freelance engineering and contracting, it can be difficult to know exactly how much work you should take on. Upwork has a minimum that you're required to reach per week in order to keep your account active, so it might seem like a good idea to accept as many jobs as you can once you get started.
- Not Too Many Projects: It can be tempting when the jobs are rolling in to accept every single open project that comes along. Resist the urge! You will quickly burn out if you take on too much work at one time. There is no way that you'll be able to meet deadlines for all of those jobs if you take them on at once.
- Be Flexible: If you have multiple clients who need their projects done at the same time — or even worse, overlapping — it can be difficult to figure out how they'll all fit into your schedule and still make enough money to pay the bills at the end of the month. Prepare yourself by being flexible with your schedule and always planning ahead
Freelance Engineer Profile Title Examples
Transportation Engineer with 2 years of experience in designing transportation infrastructures such as roads, sidewalks, bridges, bike paths and traffic lights
Software Engineer with 8 years of experience in building systems using C++, Java and Python. A strong grasp of unit testing, MVC architecture and agile software development methodologies
Web Developer with 6 years of experience using PHP, ASP.NET MVC and MySQL. Proficient in HTML5 and CSS3
Hire a Ruby on Rails developer for a fresh start up in healthcare
Experienced iOS Developer for startup looking to create a telemedicine app
IOS Developer, Coder of 4+ years, ready to work on your project!
Experienced Ruby on Rails developer looking for a remote job
Biomed engineer, with certification in a specific industry
Software engineer, proficient in several languages and tools
Mechanical engineer, with a specific focus in aerospace/aircraft/automotive/etc.
Chemical engineer, with certification in a certain type of chemical or process
Electrical engineer, with knowledge of specific types of equipment and systems
Freelance Engineer Profile Description Example
I'm a freelance engineer with over 6 years of experience. I've worked across many industries including health care, hospitality, and retail, and I've helped businesses of all sizes solve their most challenging problems.
I'm a self-starter who works best independently, but I can also collaborate well on teams. When working with my team members, I take the initiative to lead the design process and offer clear direction. I'm always open to feedback and receptive to new ideas.
What do you do?
I like to say that I build other people's dreams. My favorite thing is to come up with a crazy idea for some software or hardware system, then actually build it. It's incredible how much we can do these days with increasingly sophisticated technology!
Why should we hire you?
I'm a big picture thinker who loves to design the entire project from start to finish, from requirements gathering through development and testing and into deployment. I've been doing this for years, so you won't need to worry about me needing hand-holding or getting stuck on something minor if there's a bigger problem at hand.
Software Engineering Project Scope Example
Budget: The estimated budget for this project is $45,000.
Goal: The goal of this project is to create an online system that will provide technical support for our clients.
Objectives: The main objectives of this project are:
- To be able to make appointments online
- To be able to view past appointments online
- For the client to be able to message with the technician directly on the website and not have to call in or email them
- For technicians to schedule their time online and get paid according to how many hours they work each day
- For technicians offline time to be recorded so we can better estimate how long a job will take
Software Engineering Project Brief Example
We're looking for a software developer to help us build a new app for our company, which has been developing software in the construction space for over 30 years. We want to use this app to improve upon our existing products and help our clients do their best work.
Here's a bit more background on the project:
We have been developing software in the [industry] space for over 30 years. Our goal is to create an app that helps our users manage data in a way that reduces the time they spend performing complicated calculations and allows them to focus on their core business goals.
The app will allow our users to upload their data and run it through a machine learning algorithm in order to generate insights about how they can use that data to achieve better results. The algorithm will be trained using historical data from past projects so that it knows what types of insights are most relevant and useful based on specific inputs (this part has already been implemented). The user interface should be simple enough for someone who doesn't know how to code but still intuitive enough not meet their needs as well as other popular apps do.
We expect this project to take around 8 weeks, with a budget of $15,000-$20,000
Engineering Project Cover Letter/Proposal Example
I am writing to you in regards to your posting for a [engineering project]. I understand you're looking for someone who has experience with [raw materials] and [product types], and I believe my skills make me an excellent fit for this position.
In the past, I have worked on similar projects as a [position name] for companies like [company name] and [company name]. Through these experiences, I've picked up valuable skills that would make me an asset to your team. For example:
- I've gained experience in [relevant skill 1] through my work at [company name].
- I've learned how to [relevant skill 2] during my time as a [position name].
These skills have been invaluable in my past projects, particularly when working with clients like [client name], whom I helped to improve their operations by creating a system that helped them better track data trends.
I'd love to hear more about this opportunity and what you're trying to accomplish! Please let me know if you'd be interested in having a conversation about how my experience might meet your needs.