“Freelancers are major drivers in the global economy.”
Making money being a freelancer in 2022 is not back-breaking if you do it the right way. One of the best ways to earn money is by becoming a freelance web developer.
If you’ve visualized yourself earning a bucket-load of cash through freelancing, we are here to help you. This article will help you know essential things about becoming a freelance web developer.
So, after reading, you may find satisfactory answers to the questions like:
- How can I start a freelance web developer career?
- How hard is it to be a freelance web developer?
- Is it good for me to be a full-time freelance web developer?
Let’s jump into knowing one of the most in-demand careers of 2022.
A Brief Introduction: What is a Freelance Web Developer?
A Freelance web developer is a person who creates and designs eye-catchy and user-friendly websites to promote some products or services.
You sign up on a freelance marketplace and share your web development skills. Then, filtering the marketplace, you find a project depending on your preferences.
Here is what you need to know before getting started.
Skills you need to become a Freelance Web Developer
To become a perfect freelance web developer, you should be a blend of a freelancer and a web developer. For this, you need to have business skills, coding skills, knowledge of CMSs, etc.
How to Code:
If you want to bypass coding, you can use CMSs (Content Management Systems) to develop smart websites. CMSs include- WordPress, Webflow, Shopify, etc.
Marketing, dealing with clients, setting prices, negotiating, networking, management, etc., are a set of business skills that you need to master to become a successful freelancer.
In a nutshell, you need to know how to deal with clients and build a website.
How much time does it take to be a Freelance Web Developer?
It depends on multi factors like;
- How much time do you spend on work?
- How passionate and consistent you are?
- What is your skill level?
Therefore, it may take either years or months for you to become a freelance web developer. It all depends on how quickly you develop your skills, and the efforts you make.
Is Freelance Web Development Right for You?
Freelance Web Development is not a bundle from heaven. It has its Pros and Cons, right below.
You are not bound to anyone so you work freely (but of course, by following the client's requirements).
Work from anywhere
You are free to choose wherever you want to work. You just need to have your internet-connected machine ready.
One of the high-paying jobs
Research shows that the average website building costs $1000, which is a decent amount to earn as a freelance web developer.
Many industries opt to select freelancer web developers to create business websites, along with plentiful opportunities.
Eyesight and health Issues
Freelance web developers have to stay in front of a screen for a long while working. This may cause weak eyesight or other health issues. However, taking precautions and adopting safety measures may help you stay safe.
There are several duties involved in being a freelance web designer. Working on various projects simultaneously may put your mind in a rush. However, if you keep managing everything on time, it would not be problematic.
Working on boring content
Every project has different content to work on, so you may occasionally be assigned some boring content.
What are the types of Web Developers?
As a web developer, you may fall under some, or all of the categories given below:
Back-end web developer
Creating the structure of websites; writing codes; authenticating that the codes are working, are some of your responsibilities as a back-end developer. You may also have to handle access points for those who need to manage a website's content.
Front-end web developer
You can become a full-stack web developer if you are skilled in everything needed to build a website, which includes both front-end and back-end development. You may work as a full freelance web developer for clients who do not have a budget to hire a team.
You are a webmaster if you can work as a website manager. Your responsibilities may include keeping the websites updated, and ensuring that everything on the site works properly.
Your possible responsibilities
Your day-to-day responsibilities in this role might include:
- Designing UI (User Interface) and navigation menus.
- Integrating multimedia content.
- Testing web apps.
- Checking and troubleshooting the problems in performance.
- Collaborating with designers, developers, stakeholders, etc., to provide maximum output.
How much can a freelance Web Developer earn?
The research says that the average hourly rate for professional freelance web developers is $60-80 or more. It may vary depending on what type of technologies the developer is using, her experience, overall skills, etc.
How to Start Your Web Freelance Developer Career?
You may have made up your mind to become a freelance web developer. So, while getting started, you may need to:
- Is web development my passion?
- What is my "why" for this career
- What efforts do I put in?
- What skills do I need to develop?
- Back-end or front-end? or both (full-stack)?
Create a way to learn:
- Coding skills.
- Using CMS WordPress, Shopify, Webflow, etc.
- How to create an Action plan.
- How to create a stunning portfolio website.
- How to prepare a short-term and long-term marketing strategy.
How to focus on a single niche while starting.
Getting started as a beginner
We understand that the beginnings are the toughest. This is why we bring to you some of the most fundamental things that will help you start your freelance web development career as a beginner.
- Best freelancing websites for Web Developers.
- Creating your freelance Web Developer profile.
- Building Web Developers portfolio.
- Top Tips/Advice for beginners.
- Tools for Freelance Web Developers.
- Freelance Web Developer Interview Questions.
Best freelancing websites for Web Developers to get started
Fiverr: Fiverr is one of the best freelancing platforms that allows you to charge a service fee based on your expertise. Prices for projects range from $5 for inexperienced web designers to $10,000 for experienced designers with impressive portfolios.
Upwork: With over 12 million registered users selling their talents and services, Upwork is one of the largest freelance platforms. The website provides extensive exposure and access to a vast database for all freelance developers.
Guru.com: Guru is also one of the major platforms to start your career as a freelance web designer. It can be the best choice for you as a newcomer, making it simple for potential employers to contact you, which is a huge benefit.
Some of the other platforms to grow your business are:
How to create a freelancer profile being a Web Developer?
Each platform has its own requirements to get started. However, the following are some essential fields to build your profile on most of the platforms:
A standard profile includes all the relevant information related to your bio, experience, and qualifications. For example:
- Your real name.
- An attractive profile photo.
- A descriptive Job/Profile title.
- Skills and qualifications.
- Your Portfolio.
Tips and advice for beginners
- Use an appealing cover image.
- Upload a clear and uncluttered professional-looking profile photo (Headshot with smiling face).
- Add, or Link a professional video about you and your work.
- Link your portfolio website (if you don't have it, see next heading).
- Connect your professional social media accounts like Linkedin.
- Create a specific and eye-catchy Job title to attract customers.
- Avoid including irrelevant work experience.
- Talk about customer benefits while talking about yourself (expertise).
- Stay concise and remain committed to the topic.
- Do not forget to proofread everything.
Creating Web Developer portfolio
The best way to develop a web developer portfolio is to design and build a website that highlights your skills and strengths. You have to buy hosting and a domain to create a portfolio website.
When clients look at your portfolio, they should be able to quickly understand what you can bring to the table. So, you have to create a portfolio that provides your client with an appropriate answer about why you are the best choice.
Remember that User Experience is the foremost thing that your clients focus on. So it should be optimized.
Here are some tips to make it optimized:
- Customize your web URL using an engaging name and develop a domain name that optimizes search results.
- Create an eye-catchy visual design that pursues your clients. If you don’t know, just don’t worry; check some templates from the internet to have an idea.
- Use a mobile compatible version outlook as many clients use mobile to check portfolios.
- After doing everything, do not forget to provide an option through which clients can reach you easily (your contact no., email, etc.).
Tools for Freelance Web Developers
Some tools are essential for web development and can make you able to work stress-free. Some of these must-have tools are:
- Trello (Free + Premium with $5 per month): You can use this project management app and a personal organizer to help organize the tasks. And if you are a serial list-maker, Trello is a plus for you.
- HTML5 Boilerplate (Free): HTML5 gives you a head start as a freelance web designer. It enables repeated use of recycled code to carry it over from one project to another.
- MongoDB (Free + Subscription): With an easy-to-learn interface, MongoDB makes cloud-based data accessible and flexible for you.
- Codepen (Free): It is a code editor that you can use to try out new ideas, share progress with a client, or simply as a medium to test new work.
Frequently asked interview questions
- Tell me about a project that you are proud of.
- Tell me about a project that disappointed you.
- What do you think is most challenging about coding?
- What do you think about testing, and how do you do it?
- How can you improve QA?
- What are the latest updates in web development?
- What is the preferred development environment for you?
- What are your best soft skills?
- What would you do if you could not work out a coding problem?
- Have you ever done pair programming? How was your experience with it?
- Would you like to work directly with clients or be in a customer-facing role?
- How do you describe your workflow when creating a web page or app?
- Can you explain the purpose of each HTTP request type?
- How would you best integrate five different style sheets into the site?
- How do you consider SEO, maintainability, UX, performance, and security when building a web application?
You can create your own answers by getting help from the internet to step forward.
At the End:
In this article, we told you all the things you need to become a successful freelance web developer.
Now that you have turned your head towards your freelance career, as a freelance web developer, the sky is the limit in your career. Just sign up on any platform or boost your skill level to get started now.
However, do not take much time in beginning the initiative. We are always here to guide you to head towards the best opportunities. Till then, don’t stop learning and check out our other articles here.