If you have the desire to start freelancing as a software developer, it can be challenging to find your first paid client. Your personal project will not be enough leverage to convince an existing company to invest in your skills. You need to build and offer valuable services which are of interest to clients.
Today, we would like to share some templates and examples with you. We've put together example templates and examples for a you who want to become a freelancer who is looking to develop your career.
You can borrow from our examples and templates and fill in the gaps which best fit your specific needs.
Profitable Freelance Niches for Developers
Software Developers have always been a hot commodity, but with the workplace of the future being so digital, it's more important than ever to know where to find jobs in this niche. In this article, we'll tell you about the 3 most profitable freelance niches for Developers, as well as what jobs are available in those niches and how much money you can make.
Software Developer: The Software Developer is a go-to for any business looking to stay on top of their game with digital innovation. As software becomes more and more advanced and businesses start relying on it more and more, the need for Developers will only increase.
Mobile App Developer: The Mobile App Developer is an expert at making mobile apps that people love using on their phones. This particular niche is projected to grow by 6% over the next year due to the increasing popularity of smartphone technology in today's world.
Front-End Web Developer: A Front-End Web Developer builds a website's user interface and controls how users interact with it. It's an especially lucrative position right now because web development has become such a popular area to specialize in due to the increasing number of online businesses vying for customers' online attention.
Tips to Become a Freelance Developers
Are you a Freelance Developer but feel like you're not making as much money as you could be? There are countless reasons why that might be, but most likely, there's something you could be doing better. That's why we've put together some tips to help you earn more money on Upwork!
- Have realistic expectations. Set up your hourly rate at the level where you want to be making. Take a look at the competition and decide if that's where you want to be. If not, change it now instead of later. A good rule of thumb is to charge at least 50% more than the lowest-priced providers in your category, so you have enough room for negotiation.
- Remember that time is money. Do everything in your power to make your time on Upwork as efficient as possible! Minimize the amount of time spent on Upwork by providing professional-quality proposals with no spelling errors or grammatical mistakes. Make sure all information is accurate, and proofread all proposals several times before submitting them. Also, always answer questions from clients quickly -your response time can make or break a deal!
- Be personable and professional when communicating with clients. Be sure to respond quickly to messages and questions from clients, and always maintain positive communication practices
Freelance Developer Headline Examples
Mobile App Developer who loves to code in Swift, Objective-C and Java
C# Web Developer who will revolutionize your business through creative and effective applications
WordPress Developer with experience working with WooCommerce, BuddyPress and HTML/CSS
iOS Developer who is passionate about coding apps that change the world one app at a time
Drupal developer with experience in PHP, MySQL, HTML and CSS
C#.NET Developer with 10 years of experience building enterprise web applications
AngularJS Expert with Java and Linux Background
PHP Developer with MySQL and Python Background
Senior Front-End Developer with Symfony
Freelance Developer Profile Description Example
I am a freelance software developer with over 7 years of experience. I specialize in working with startups and small businesses to help them develop their ideas into functional apps that can be used by millions.
My skills include:
- HTML5 & CSS3
I enjoy working with start-ups, small businesses, and non-profits, but I can also work with larger firms as well.
Software Development Project Scope Example
We have an estimated budget of $42,000 for this project.
This money is for the development of a [project type] system that will enable [company name] to more effectively perform cash-flow management. Because we want the system to be effective and because we want it to be sustainable
Our goals and objectives are as follows:
- The system must enable [company name] employees to do X much more efficiently than they do now.
- The system should provide transparency into how [company name] spends its money on X
- Employees should be able to view their individual department's spending habits in real-time as they perform X
Our tasks and deliverables are as follows:
- Gather employee feedback on current processes while brainstorming ideas
- Develop wireframes based on prototyping software using UX design principles
- Create user stories from wireframes using Agile methodology
- Create or choose a technology stack for back end and front end elements of the system
Software Development Project Brief Example
The development of this software needs to be done by a small dedicated team of software developers. The timeline is 9 months from the day work starts to the delivery of the final product.
Project objective: As the developer, your primary objective is to design and code complex software for our business. The business focuses on the development and distribution of technology for smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. The company was founded in 2012 and has grown rapidly ever since. We have an innovative approach to product development, which allows us to remain competitive in a very dynamic environment. Our ultimate goal is to become one of the best players in this market, and we are counting on you as a professional software developer to achieve this goal.
- The assignment will require you to develop a complex system supporting a platform which is based on several premises
- A customer-oriented environment with web-based sales channels
- Multiple deployment environments with each service having different requirements
- Should be able to handle changes in customer requirements
- Security standards (application level)
- An internationalized service that uses multiple currencies
- Ability to generate reports using sophisticated reporting tools (Crystal Reports)
- Support for mobile
Software Development Cover Letter/Proposal Example
Hello [client name],
I have read over your job requirements and it is clear that you are looking for someone to build a web application that can help you manage your work processes more efficiently.
I have extensive experience in building management tools for small businesses. I previously built a time-tracking tool for [client name], which tracks employee time-sheets, calculates hours worked, and provides full billing reports to the client. The client was able to drastically reduce the amount of paperwork they needed to gather from their employees, allowing them more time to focus on other aspects of their business.
I believe my skills and experience make me the perfect person to meet your needs. I would be happy to schedule a consultation call with you so we can discuss this project in greater detail and ensure this is a good fit for both parties. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns prior to our scheduled call.